To ensure your two-way radio functions at its best and stands the test of time, you need to take good care of it. If you have also made the wise decision to equip your staff with two way radios, educating them on how to properly store, use and maintain their assigned two way radio devices and accessories will be beneficial in helping to protect your investment.
Improper use, storage and maintenance can result in unnecessary damages, and in many situations, it is essential that two-way radios remain functional for ensuring safety and mission critical communications. Here are a few tips to keep your two way radios in tip-top condition.
Although some radios are designed to be rugged and robust, like our waterproof and explosion-proof radios, they still require proper care and maintenance. Don’t intentionally treat your radio carelessly because it appears durable.
Storing Your Two Way Radio
Correct storage of your radios will help keep them in good condition!
- Store your radio in a cool, dry place (ideally at room temperature).
- Avoid storing them in direct sunlight, or in very hot, cold, or damp areas.
- When you are storing your radio for long periods of time, make sure it is turned off and the batteries are removed.
- Avoid grabbing your radio by the antenna, as it will eventually have an impact on your radio’s signal and transmission quality.
- Only use accessories that are made specifically for your brand of radio, as incompatible accessories can cause damage and functionality problems.
- Don’t expose your radio to solvents or harsh chemicals.
- Don’t expose your radio to extreme hot or cold conditions, unless they are designed to be used in harsh environments.
- Try to keep your radio dry and away from moisture.
Charging Your Two Way Radio
It is crucial that you only use batteries and chargers that are compatible with your device, as using chargers that are not compatible can damage your radio.
There are several methods to charge radios, and there are ways to care for batteries and charging techniques to extend battery life.
Daily Use and Care of Your Two Way Radio
Radio users also need to be mindful of their day to day use. Although some radios are designed to be very robust, like our waterproof and explosion-proof radios, they still require care and proper maintenance. Don’t intentionally treat your radio carelessly because it appears durable.
Cleaning Your Two Way Radio
Don’t use any industrial cleaners or cleaning sprays to wipe down your radio, as the chemicals could damage them. Simply wipe them down with a dry cloth and make sure there’s no dust build-up. If you do use your radio in dirty or dusty conditions, consider giving them a wipe down when you return from work. Note that we also carry dirt and dust proof radios available for those who work in extreme environments.
Got more questions about how to look after your two-way radio? Give our experts a call. We're always happy to put our expert knowledge to good use.