Operating a drone or Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) in Canada comes with various requirements, including the various knowledge areas that a pilot needs in order to ensure the safety of the Canadian airspace. Among these rules and regulations are the "Radiotelephony" requirements highlighted by Transport Canada as part of the requirements for obtaining your drone pilot certification.
The drone or RPAS pilot operating within visual line of sight must be able to:
- Interpret aeronautical radio communications (position, phase of flight).
- Communicate using standard radio terminology.
- Explain the characteristics of radio wave propagation.
- Describe the factors that affect radio reception range.
- Identify sources of radio frequency (RF) interference.
- Describe how to assess an RF environment.
- Explain the function of RF spectrum analyzer.
- Give examples of proper radio etiquette, including practices to avoid interfering with other communications.
As a drone pilot, you must follow the rules in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) developed by the Government of Canada for you to safely and legally operate your drones or Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS).
At Expert Mobile Communications, we have a working knowledge of all things wireless communications, and can assist you with finding the right radio for your drone or RPAS operations. Contact us if you require a radio solution for your drone operations.