In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Expert Mobile recommends taking the following steps BEFORE handling any radio or radio accessory that may have been in close contact with a potentially infected person or contaminated objects
Your radio is a powerful communications tool, but like any object, it could also be a magnet for harmful germs and viruses. Whether they are used in a retail store, dental office, construction site, medical facility, warehouse, restaurant, on the water, in a cockpit, on the trail, at home with the family or out in the field, clean and disinfect your radios regularly to ensure maximum personal protection and health.
Regardless of how long viruses survive on surfaces, following these procedures will help to protect yourself and others from the spread of infections. This procedure is a best practice recommendation and is the same for cleaning and disinfecting one radio, or multiple radios at the end of a shift.
At Expert Mobile Communications, safety is our top priority. We take proper care in cleaning and disinfecting all our radios before every rental is distributed.
1. Thoroughly wash your hands for no less than 20 seconds (recommended by AHS).
- Dry your hands with a disposable paper towel
- If soap & water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
2. Prepare a cleaning area using a tabletop or desktop work surface.
- Clean the entire work surface area with disinfectant spray, bleach wipe, or isopropyl alcohol.
- Divide the work surface into two halves: one half for dirty radios, and one half for completely disinfected radios.
- Place uncleaned radios on one half of the work surface.
- Remove batteries, antennae, and accessories from all radios.
1. Use a dry, clean, soft cloth to wipe away any visible dirt, dust, or other contaminants from the radio or accessories.
2. If necessary, use a non-metallic brush with soft bristles to loosen any trapped debris.
3. After cleaning each radio, keep it on the dirty half of the work surface.
1. Wash hands again using step 1 "Preparation" mentioned in recommendations above.
2. Thoroughly wipe down all radio and accessory surfaces using another clean, soft cloth (or paper towel) dipped in a mild soap-water solution (for example, dish detergent), or 60% or above isopropyl alcohol.
- Do not spray soap-water solution or alcohol directly onto the radio
- Do not use bleach, solvents or cleaning sprays to cleanse or disinfect radios. At the very least these chemicals can discolor the surface of the radio, and at worst they may melt the plastics or eat away at the surface of the radio. They can also scratch or damage the displays.
- Do not immerse the radio in water.
- Do not clean the radio while it is turned on or charging.
- Do not pour or spray any cleaning solution or liquid directly to the surface of the radio.
- Don't use anything abrasive. Do not use metallic or heavy duty brushes. Do not use any rough or abrasive cloths. Don't use any abrasive cleansers.
- Be sure the radio is turned off.
- Remove the batteries or battery pack before cleaning.
- Clean a battery pack housing separately, and only the outer facing plastic shell or housing.
- Remove the belt clip if possible and clean it separately.
- Remove any externally connected accessories such as earpieces, headsets or hand microphones before cleaning.
- Clean your radios in a well ventilated area and away from heat sources.
Avoid breathing vapors or fumes from approved cleaning solutions.
3. After cleaning each radio, place it on the clean half of the work surface.
4. Use another clean, soft cloth (or paper towel) dampened with only water to wipe away all soapy water from each radio.
5. Do not touch a cleaned radio after touching any dirty (non-disinfected) surface such as a dirty cloth, and do not place the clean radio on a surface that has not been disinfected.
6. AVOID TOUCHING YOUR EYES, NOSE, AND MOUTH WITH UNWASHED HANDS.
* The EPA has a complete list of registered disinfectants that are proven to be effective against this viruses. However, Expert Mobile has only tested some of the recommended cleaners and cannot confirm if they degrade products. Safety is our top priority, so we take proper care in cleaning and disinfecting all our radios before every rental is distributed.
Learn more about taking care of two-way radios