Licensing Your Two-Way Radio

Every Two Way Radio Requires a Radio Licence
August 26, 2022 by
Licensing Your Two-Way Radio
Expert Mobile Communications Ltd.

Unlike push-to-talk over cellular (PoC) radios, two-way radios do not require a sim card to operate, but they require a license (authorization) from the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED).

The mandate of ISED is to foster the orderly development and operation of communications through the management of the radio frequency spectrum. This protects the professionalism and safety of worker operations. No one wants a situation where their radio channel is hijacked by someone pretending to be working with you.

Once you receive a radio license, the authorized “Area of Operation” for each frequency is stated on your radio license. Operating outside of the “Area of Operation” is a violation of the Radiocommunication Act and can cause interference, which endangers lives. This is primarily the reason why radio communications are regulated.

While we advice all our customers about licensing their two way radios, it is ultimately the responsibility of the customer to ensure their radio licenses are up to date and not causing interference for other users.

If you would like to learn more about licensing your two way radio, you can contact one of ISED's District Offices through the numbers listed below:

  • British Columbia District Offices: 1-800-667-3780
  • Edmonton: 1-800-461-2646
  • Calgary: 1-800-267-9401
  • Saskatoon: 1-877-783-7757
  • Regina: 1-877-510-7875
  • Winnipeg: 1-800-665-3421

Why your business may need a two way radio

Many businesses and organizations require two-way radios to facilitate seamless communications, enhance results and ensure worker safety unencumbered by the limitations that come with operating a radio with a sim card. To put it simply, one does not just get into business without considering communication efficiencies, and while two-way radios are regulated to ensure safe operations for all users, some business and industry operations just can't do without them.

All our rental two way radios are licensed and we offer repairs!

All our radios rentals come with their own authorized licenses, and are configured for your specific needs. When you rent with Expert Mobile Communications, our experts are able to help you navigate all the hassle of ensuring your rented equipment are used within ISED's regulations. All you ever have to do is to book your pick-up or installation and return when it is due. If you encounter any issues, you can also call our 24hr emergency line to assist you.

If your purchased radio is giving you troubles, you can also reach out to us to assist you with diagnoses and repairs (if needed).

Contact us if you are interested in renting, purchasing or just want to have a chat about helping you decide on the equipment for your needs. We ♥ all things wireless communications!

More radio licensing information

Share this post